Thursday, January 14, 2010

She's here!




*Disclaimer* This blog is being written by Brian. All humor and intelligent remarks are expressed solely at the amazing talent of the aforementioned. You have been warned.

So, for those of you still living in January 13, 2010, or maybe I just fell asleep before I could text, Vivia was born today. The quick & juicy:

  • she's asleep right now
  • 12:27 am 1/14/2010
  • 7lbs 13oz (a bit smaller than we thought...try a pound smaller than we thought)
  • 18 1/2 inches
  • freakin cute
  • mad pooping skills
So yesterday I get off work and head home. I talk with Judy for a bit who's "chillaxing" (that's idiot talk for chilling and relaxing) on the couch. I feed her some almonds and yogurt, then fan her with peacock leaves. We discuss dinner plans and how boring our healthy dinner sounds and debate much tastier, greasier options. I then head off to the gym around 4:45 to teach my kickboxing class. As class wraps up at 6:25 or so, I'm literally telling the members as they walk out that "If I'm not here next Wednesday, that means my wife had her baby." Literally seconds later the front desk gal comes running in "Brian your wife's water broke!"

I meet Judy and her parents at the hospital, and she gets admitted to triage. Basically Judy was sleeping on the couch, and woke up feeling strange...that's when she realized as my nephew Trenton would say, "GOOSH!" Her water had broken (in my cozy pants nonetheless). Her parents quickly load her up and head over.

Judy started having contractions about every 5 mins or so. The doctors (no, not The Doctors) told us they wanted to wait about 8 hours on the c-section because of the food she ate (vomiting/ choking risk). Judy and her mom hang out in triage while I run home to get out of my soaking wet gym clothes and wash the stink off.

Just before midnight they start prepping Judy, who had an awful time waiting (contractions, nausea, acid reflux, vomiting). I get my plastic doctor's scrubs and get called into the OR a few minutes later. They have a big canopy blocking Judy's view (and mine, not interested) while they work. Literally 3 minutes after I walk in the anesthesiologist says "get your camera, you're gonna miss it!" I managed to get a few gory shots of Vivia being pulled out. She cries immediately, says hi to mom, and then we take her to a little table for cleanup. She also peed all over the place immediately (atta girl). I then leave the room with her while Judy is getting reassembled and we take measurements, tests, baths, etc.

About 30-40 minutes later we come back to Judy, who is shivering like crazy (medication made her cold). She gets her first moment with Vivia while the nurse makes sure Judy's post surgery tests are ok. She then gets to feed, and Vivia latched on like a GANGSTA and got her first meal. At about 2 or 2:30 we get to our room where Judy is made comfortable, we get more feedings in and the nurse checks up on everything. Vivia falls asleep in here crib on wheels, but does a little cry about every 15 minutes for no reason. I get about an 1.5-2 hours sleep, Judy even less cuz she was texting while I woke up. Vivia was crying for breakfast.

More checkups, tarry diapers, and the Van Camp crew saves the day with breakfast and some water. I'm typing this up as we wait for the nurse to take Judy around for her first walk. Vivia is sleeping soundly, but I'm pretty sure she'll be screaming for food soon. Judy is also actually sleeping, and I'm not sure whether to wake her or not to call the nurse again, she needs sleep, but she needs to walk.

So far...so good!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats, Congrats!!! Great blogging Brian! Get used to the not sleeping part:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! Congratulations to all of you!!!! She is beautiful (as we all knew she would be) and I'm happy you are all doing well! Can't wait to meet her! And yes, Brian, excellent blogging and very descriptive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations dear parents!!! Your life will never be the same!!!

    I am so glad I got to see Judy a few hours before the contraction (did the contractions have anything to do with our conversation? :)).

    Judy, I'm glad it went well. Can't wait to hear your side of the story. Good luck with the walking... not an easy task.

    Vivia, you are beautiful, and I'll visit you soon.

    Brian, KEEP on blogging. I enjoyed the details and truthfulness coming out of a tired father.

    ReplyDelete